Rimshot

When I bought the Korg 01W in the 1990s, I wrote a few compositions on it. Rimshot was one of them. It was done entirely on the keyboard which has a 16 track music sequencer built in.

It was me and the keyboard in my rented room hooked up to a mini hifi system. If you are familiar with the O1W front panel, I didn’t have much screen real estate to work with. It was just a tiny rectangular display.

Nevertheless, I still manage to come up with a few compositions then. As the saying goes, “if there’s a will, there’s a way”.

With the advancement of music technology, sequencing can be now done on a computer. There’s sequencing softwares, soft synths, loops and an array of unlimited resources that is within reach from the internet.

I find that sometimes too many options can be a deterrent to creativity. At the end computers are just tools. The basic principle is still coming up with the song or tune.

I use to obsess over any latest gadgets and in retrospect, it could be just a way for me to avoid the discomfort of sitting down and write.

Do share your trials and tribulations or success moments with regards to writing music, down in the comments section

Available on Spotify, iTunes, Deezer and Amazon




Post a Comment

0 Comments