Existence

I wrote this composition for my student to perform on the EL90 Electone during the 1991 Yamaha Electone Festival. The music had undergone significant changes after she had won the National level but I do not have the recording of that upgraded version.

Or maybe I did but was lost.

I remembered bringing all my recordings on cassettes to a job interview at a recording studio. I got the job there as a producer for 10 months but in the process lost most of my work.

That was a painful lesson for me that is to never bring original copies to interviews regardless of how highly you regard the employer.

Anyway, imagine after writing a composition and to have a friend tell you that the motive sounded like another?

That was what had happen on this project. I didn’t realize the similarities till the piece was completed.

See if you can recognize?

Available on Spotify, iTunes, Deezer and Amazon


Post a Comment

4 Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must said that i am very familiar with this song Existence is because 1991 and 1995 when i represented Singapore For Asia electone festival this song was played but by 2 different persons. I must say that is one of the most unique compsition and sound i have hear. Jason , you are awesome. But the version i know is kind of different. Should i said that is even much better than the one i hear now. Well sound like another one ? I don think so. Is just maybe some of the style reminded someone of something else . I don think is the theme. Eg. Guitar the style playing is like David forster " theme from stealing home" but is not the theme . After 1991 existence was born it become like a " poison " cut so deep into many electone festival composer brain in Malaysian. Many are copying it and in one of the year someone actually just take 8 bars from here and 8 bars from there to paste it up. Slowly the ideas started to spread out of Malaysia. But Jason is a compliment to you . What a great composer you are . I am sure u know who i am haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jason, It's lovely to locate you on the internet and see that you're well. I'm your previous Electone student back in the hey-day of 1990s and I was there at both the Malaysian Electone festivals which featured this song ("Existence"), performed first by J and then by S. I have ALWAYS loved this song and am delighted to find you've uploaded it here. Thank you for this song. It's beautiful! Ps.Is there any chance you could upload your beautifully transcribed David Benoit's "6-String Poet" (which I learnt under you) as well as the other song which had won the Ensemble section in the Electone Festival (I think it featured a David Benoit/David Forster song too)? :) Warm regards from your old student, Lin Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lin Lee, sorry for the late reply. Yes give me your email. I can scan and send it to you, Jason Geh

      Delete